Thursday, January 15, 2009

A New Type of Female Superhero

I've been thinking about this ever since some of my friends took this class last year. What I would really like to do is create a superhero in Second Life. I want to create a female superhero who does not conform to our traditional ideas of beauty. Female superheroes have been prominent on television in the last decade: shows such as Xena, Warrior Princess; Buffy, the Vampire Slayer; and Charmed portrayed women as more powerful than men. While this may be a step in the right direction, characters on these shows had to look good while they did their fighting. They wore fashionable clothes and maintained perfect hair and make-up. It also seemed weird to me that they were such small women who managed to beat up monsters twice their size.

I want to create a superhero whose "civilian" identity is an ordinary girl next door type. I see her as very small and mousy. But when she needs to fight evil, she goes through a physical transformation. She grows both in height and girth and develops visible muscles, and she won't be afraid to get mussed when she fights. I'll need to have two avatars in Second Life, one as my hero and one as her alter ego. I've given some thought to this, but once I actually start working in Second Life, I'll be able to flesh out my ideas some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment